The QuickBooks programme can be used by one person or by many people at the same time. The multi-user option is very helpful when more than one computer needs to open the same company file at the same time. But users may sometimes get the QuickBooks error 6000 88 when they try to switch to multi-user mode or open a company file. Because of this, this problem needs to be fixed as soon as possible, because it could be very inconvenient for business owners and could affect how businesses work and how productive they are.
This problem usually happens when there is a problem with the hosting settings on either the workstations or the server computer. It could also happen if the firewall settings on your computer’s Windows operating system are tight and stop a connection between the workstations and the server computer, which holds the company’s files. Users can fix this error by checking the hosting settings on their workstations and servers and making the necessary changes. Make sure to read this whole article because it will show you how to update your hosting settings and how to fix the QuickBooks error code 6000-88.
Call us at 1-888-704-1357 to talk to our technical staff if you need help with the 6000-88 error in QuickBooks or any other multi-user mode problems.
Telltale signs that your computer has the QuickBooks Error Code 6000 88
Some of the signs that the 6000-88 error is happening are:
- The user might not be able to open or read their company file.
- The QB screen might open and close on its own.
- Windows might shut down to stop the damage from getting worse.
- The user might not be able to click on the program’s tabs and buttons.
- QuickBooks could stop working for good.
When you switch QuickBooks to multi-user mode, there are a few things that could go wrong and cause the error code 6000-88.
The 6000-88 error in QuickBooks is caused by problems with the hosting settings. This can be caused by a number of things, such as:
- You need to turn off multi-user access on any of your workstations where it is turned on in the hosting settings.
- You need to change the settings on the server computer so that it can host multiple users, since they may not be turned on.
- If your Windows firewall settings are too restrictive, the multi-user mode of QuickBooks might not work right on your computer.
- Your QuickBooks programme or company files may have been damaged, which needs to be fixed.
How can the QuickBooks error code 6000 88 be fixed?
To fix the 6000-88 error in QuickBooks, you should check the hosting settings on your server computer and all of the workstations. If you need to, you should change them. If the error still happens, you’ll need to try to fix it in more ways. You must carefully follow each of the instructions below: –
Check your QuickBooks server’s hosting settings and make any changes that are needed.
In order to switch to multi-user mode, you need to turn on the hosting options on your QuickBooks server machine. Follow these steps to make the hosting options available:
- Go to the File menu as soon as QuickBooks Desktop starts up.
- The next step to turn on the hosting settings is to choose the Host Multi-User Access option.
- After you turn on hosting and restart your computer, check to see if you can now switch to multi-user mode.
Related article: This company File needs to be updated QuickBooks 2023
Check the hosting settings on all of your workstations and, if needed, make any changes.
You need to check your workstation’s hosting settings and make any changes that are needed. If any of your workstations have hosting settings turned on, this could cause problems with multi-user mode. You can look at and change the hosting settings in the following ways:
- Start the desktop version of QuickBooks on each of your computers, and then go to the File menu.
- Now, check to see if the box next to Host Multi-User Access is checked or not. If the hosting settings are on, you must choose the Stop hosting multi-user access option to turn them off.
- Check to see if the multi-user mode is now working correctly after you’ve gone through all of the workstations’ hosting settings and changed them so that they no longer allow multi-user access.
Use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool, which you can get from the QuickBooks Tool hub, to fix company files that are broken.
Check your company files with the QuickBooks File Doctor tool, then follow these steps to fix them:
- Go to the Intuit website and use the computer that is your server to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from there.
- After you download the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file, install it and save it somewhere easy to find.
- Go to the Company File Issues section of the QuickBooks tool hub as soon as it’s open and start the file doctor.
- Check to see if you can now switch to multi-user mode once the utility is done.
Related article: How to fix QuickBooks Error 6144 82
Give the QBDataServiceUserXX the right to be an administrator.
Such problems could happen if you haven’t given the QBDataServiceUserXX admin rights. Check your Windows user settings by following these steps:
- When you log in as an administrator, go to the Windows start menu.
- Now, go to the Control Panel and click on the User Accounts tab.
- Right-click on QBDataServiceUserXX in the list to choose it. Depending on which version of QuickBooks you use, the XX number may be different.
- If you choose Change the account type, you will be asked to choose Administrator.
- After making the changes, QuickBooks will have all the admin access it needs, so you can check to see if the problem has been fixed.
Set up the Windows firewall to let your QB Desktop work without any restrictions.
Follow these steps to make an exception for QuickBooks in your firewall:
- As soon as the Windows firewall starts up, go straight to the Advanced Settings tab. Then, right-click the Inbound Rules tab and choose “New Rule” from the menu that appears.
- Press the “Next” button to move forward. Lastly, press the Port button again to make sure that the TCP option is selected on the computer’s screen.
- After you move to the Specific Local Ports area and enter the port numbers for your QB Desktop edition, you must then click the Allow a connection box.
- To move forward, just tap the Next button. Then, you can give the rule you just made a good name, like QBKEYPORTS (year).
These are the ways you can fix QuickBooks Error 6000 88. If you use QuickBooks, you will need to switch between the single-user mode and the multi-user mode often. So, you should always check the hosting settings on your server computer and on each workstation. This will make it less likely that these kinds of mistakes will happen. Make sure QuickBooks is up to date so you can use the latest changes and additions. You should also keep the QuickBooks Tool Hub on your computer so that troubleshooting can be done faster and easier. Do the troubleshooting steps in this article in the order given if an error still happens after you’ve taken precautions. If the error is still there after you’ve tried all of the above solutions, give us a call at 1-888-704-1357 and our technical staff will help you right away.
Related article: QuickBooks missing Pdf component