Let me briefly describe what you’ll see in this article. We will start with booting and move on to BIOS, Boot Menu and Security. Next we will learn how to access the Asus Boot Menu and how to boot from USB.
After pressing the power button, booting is the process of loading memory into your central processing unit (CPU). This can be done by either the CPU’s hardware, or an independent processor on your computer.
What’s the Boot Menu?
We have seen some of the possibilities that the boot menu has in the introduction. There are many other uses for it, such as. If you have more than one operating system, you can choose how to access them.
What’s BIOS? How do I access the Asus BIOS settings
The BIOS (Basic input/output system) is a program that the microprocessor runs to turn on the computer after it has been powered on. BIOS regulates data flow between the Operating System (including the keyboard, mouse and hard drive) and all hardware.
Once the power button is pressed, simultaneously press F2 Key to access Asus BIOS.
What’s a Boot Sequence?
The Boot Order, also called boot sequence, allows the computer check all devices (including USB & Hard Disk) on which the operating system boot files are stored. It also specifies the order in which devices will need to be checked. You can change the Boot Order using BIOS settings.
How can I open the boot menu of my Asus Laptops?
1. As soon as your laptop turns on, press simultaneously the F8 key on Keyboard.
2. Navigate to the appropriate boot options using the arrow keys. Before you exit the boot menu, save your settings.
How can I activate the F12 boot menu on my Asus laptop?
F12 boot menu allows you to access the boot menu from your computer by pressing the F12 key. How to activate F12 boot menu on Asus laptops
1. After pressing the power button, press simultaneously the F8 key on the keyboard to access the boot menu.
2. Navigate to the Main menu tab by using the right arrow keys
3. For the F12 boot menu, click the down arrow.
4. To switch between Disabled and Enabled, press Enter.
5. Save the changes and exit the boot menu.
Asus Boot using USB
By default, the laptop’s boot order is set to hard drive. You will need to change the BIOS priority list to USB to enable USB booting.
How can I change my boot order?
1. Your laptop should be turned off.
2. After your computer/laptop turns on, press the F2 button simultaneously to access the BIOS.
3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Boot menu tab.
4. To adjust the priority order for the boot, use the up-and down arrow key. (Insert USB target option #1 in the list.
5. Close the setup utility. Save your changes, and exit BIOS.
How can I boot from USB?
These steps will enable you to boot from USB.
1. Connect the USB drive directly to your Asus laptop.
2. Turn on your laptop and press the F2 key simultaneously to access the BIOS menu.
3. Navigate to the boot order and mark the USB option as priority on the boot priority list.
4. Save your changes and exit BIOS.
Asus Secure Boot
- Secure Boot protects your laptops from malicious software and unauthorized media files, when they start up.
- Secure boot allows only authorized operating systems to be installed on your computer. To authorize authorized operating systems on your computer, you can change the certificates used by it.
- You can enable/disable secure boot using BIOS settings.
How do I disable Secure Boot?
1. Your Asus laptop should be turned off.
2. Turn it on, and continue pressing F2 to activate the BIOS.
3. To navigate to Security, use the arrow keys.
4. To select Set Supervisor Password, use the down arrow key. Next, press Enter.
5. Enter your password and hit Enter.
6. To select Boot, click on the right-arrow key.
7. Click the down arrow key to select Secure Boot. Next, press Enter.
8. It should be disabled. Press Enter to disable it
9. Press F10 to confirm.
2021 ASUS laptop boot with USB
Once you enable USB booting, the ASUS laptops K series, Zenbook Prime and Zenbook Prime can be used with the usb operating system.
This will be applicable to all Asus laptops, from 2010 through the present.
1) Turn off your computer and unplug the usb drive.
2) Turn on your computer. On the black screen, you will see a message saying ‘Press _____ for setup’ or “Press __to enter BIOS”.
It should be either DEL or F2 for an Asus laptop.
2) Use your cursor keys to go to BOOT.
4) Change the boot options to add USB drives5) Save and exit
Turn off the computer and plug in the usb boot drive. Power on the computer. It should then boot to the usb.Windows 10 BIOS Setup is not available
Turn off the computer, then unplug it. Wait 10 minutes. Then, reconnect it and boot the machine. Next, use the command to load your BIOS
This is what you can do:
Hold down Shift to turn off the system. Do not stop until it is completely off.
Give it a minute.
Hold down the Bios key (such F2), and turn on the system.
How can I restart my computer to start BIOS? How do I enter BIOS without having to restart my computer?
See Section >Settings.
Open >Update & Security.
Click the menu link >Recovery.
Select >Restart Now from the Advance Startup section.
Select and open Troubleshoot in recovery mode
Select the >Advance option.
Select >UEFI Firmware Settings.
How can I update my Asus BIOS
You can update your BIOS via the Internet.
You can enter the Advanced Mode in the BIOS setup program.
You can also select by Internet.
To select an Internet connection method for your device, press the Left/Right Arrow keys and then press “Enter”.
Follow the instructions on screen to complete the update.
After the update is complete, reboot the system.
How can I tell if Windows 10 has virtualization enabled? Windows 10 and Windows 8 users can check virtualization by opening Task Manager->Performance tab. Virtualization should be visible as shown in this screenshot. It means your CPU supports Virtualization.